Sunday, December 4, 2011

Reindeer Chow


Thursday night, our Daisy Girl Scout troop made goodies to take to SOS Children's Village. SOS Children's Village is a foster care neighborhood near me. It's a wonder place with wonderful volunteers and kids. Saturday there were about 100 volunteers hanging lights and decorating the neighborhood. I asked if my Girl Scout troop of 5 and 6 year olds could help and they suggested making baked goodies for the works. So, we made brownies, cupcakes and Reindeer Chow to take over. The girls had a blast decorating cupcakes, mixing up the batter for brownies and making the Reindeer Chow. We also learned about being Honest and Fair (the first part of the Girl Scout Law).

The Reindeer Chow is from the Gooseberry Patch's Christmas 2009 recipe book. It's basically trail mix, but since it's Christmas time.....

I adjusted the recipe some to fill up the baggie I put it into. I gave SOS a bowl to put it in. I did not use the dates and swapped the sunflower seeds for mini pretzels.

Sorry about the picture. I didn't want to dirty the bowl!

Reindeer Chow

4 cups salted peanuts
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup red and green candy-coated chocolate pieces
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; store in covered container.


1 comment:

Michele said...

Yum! Reindeer chow looks delicious!